It’s been a long time coming, but we’re back for the start of our ninth year of conversations! Thanks for bearing with us as we took a hiatus for the summer months. Did we miss anything?
To ease back into our routines, we’re going to do some rapid-fire moves through a list of short topics rather than stick to a single theme. So without further delay, here’s some of what’s on tonight’s agenda:
- Consider this quote attributed to the late American fiction writer Madeline L’Engle — “I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, ‘This is what I believe. Finished.’ What I believe is alive, and open to growth.” What do you think of this sentiment? Do you agree?
- When NASA’s Artemis I finally launches on its journey back to the moon, no animals or people will be onboard, but it will still carry biology investigations to see how living things react to the deep space environment. The Orion spacecraft will carry things like yeast, algae, fungi and seeds rather than a traditional crew. The findings from these experiments are said to be essential in helping to pave a path toward the safe return of humans to the moon and an eventual crewed landing on Mars through future Artemis missions. So here’s the question: Would you be interested in traveling to the moon or to Mars? Do you believe that humans will ever establish an ongoing presence on either? Are there spiritual or religious implications to humans living on another planet?
- Is worshiping God something that God wants or requires humans to do? Explain your view.
- What impact, if any, did learning of the death of Queen Elizabeth have on you?
- Think about this statement: “I have everything I need.” We’ll take a minute or so to quietly reflect, and then we’ll invite your responses. How do you differentiate between a want and a need?
We can’t guarantee that we’ll get to all of these, and we’re likely to wander down meandering paths no matter what we talk about. Join us for the conversation this evening and see where the discussion leads us.
We’ll get started at 7 pm at 313 Pizza Bar in downtown Lake Orion.